Thursday, May 22, 2008

4th Treatment

Because my right hand was wrapped in a huge wad of gauze to protect the IV line they kept in, I worked from home today. I think I did more work than drinking my fluids because today's treatment was not the best. They were able to use the same line, but the syringe of Benadryl went straight to my head and I'm sure I could not have walked a straight line. I had a bit of a burning/stinging sensation at the IV site throughout the treatment. When the interferon bag finished and all I had left was what still remained in the bag of fluids, I realized that my fingers on my right hand were swollen. I showed the nurse, and she stopped the IV immediately. I guess they were worried about the line infiltrating but the swelling was above instead of below the site. They checked with a doctor who agreed that infiltration was not happening, and told me I'd have to get the rest of my hydration by mouth instead of IV. I was really glad to have my hubby there to drive me today! I came home by 3:30 and went straight to bed for 4 1/2 hours. I just checked and my temperature is 101 which certainly explains the way I feel. Good to know it's temporary! So, I'm going to drink more tonight and tomorrow, and ask them to inject the Benadryl more slowly tomorrow. Hopefully, the combo will work. Gee, what WILL I do without American Idol tonight ;-). I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the 3-day weekend!

4 down, 15 to go

No comments: