Monday, May 19, 2008

1st Treatment - only 18 more to go

Happy 29th wedding anniversary to us today!!

I started my IV treatment around 2:30 today and was in the car headed home by 4:50. While I was well enough to drive, I really appreciated having my husband there to do the driving duties. Apparently I'm lacking "good" veins and now expect the needle "stick" to be the worst part. They left the IV needle in my arm for tomorrow, so I'm hoping it lasts till the appointment.

With the shawl Mary wove for me in hand, the treatment started with two Tylenol and then a syringe of Benadryl, nausea medicine (lasts for 80 hours - same as what chemo patients get), and fluids. They really stressed fluids and suggested that I start carrying a bottle of water with me everywhere (and drinking it!). Finally, the interferon drip began. I left feeling half decent with a slight headache and quite chilled. They told me that the side effects tend to peak after 4-6 hours, so I plan to be snuggled under the covers by then and sleep through it.

Now, a few hours later, I've just taken two more Tylenol. I can tell that I'm feverish, which explains the chills, and my body is definitely achy. So far it's like the flu without the sore throat and hacking cough, which makes it bearable. Having had the flu a few months ago, I can say that it's not as bad as that experience though I could really use a hot sauna right now!

I'm going to wrap myself in a few blankets to try and get warm. I'm counting on Murphy, my cat, to help me out ;-).

1 down, 18 to go

No comments: