Wednesday, July 23, 2008

6th Week of Recovery

Wow! I can't believe I'm in my 6th week of recovery from the intensive interferon treatment! I can honestly say that everything tastes yummy again, my energy is back, headaches aren't as frequent or severe, itching has almost subsided, and hair thinning is my only worry left. Well, that and my upcoming CT scan, but life's too busy to worry about that! My next CT scan is scheduled for August 26th and then my appt. with my oncologist is 3 weeks later. That'll be a tough waiting period, but there's so much going on that I hope I don't even have time to give it too much thought. Yet those thoughts of whether there's still a cancer cell left floating around inside of me never completely leave. Of course I'm hoping for an all-clear report, but trying to stay prepared for the possibility of a new trouble spot.

My leg continues to swell a bit every day and I've been wearing the compression stocking to bed. I should probably wear it during the day too, but it looks so horrible with shorts and sandals :-(. Besides, the swelling is always down in the morning.

I'm still waiting to get my feeling back in my leg, but that's been very slow to happen. I do have the occasional stabbing pains to remind me that my nerves are still working on making new connections. I'll be able to ask the surgeon about that at my next appt. on August 5th. I also want to show him some freckles/moles I've been keeping an eye on.

I don't expect to post again until after my surgeon appt. on August 5th.

4 comments:

Miss Melanoma said...

Wow, this post made me so happy. It's great to see that you're feeling so good.
Look forward to hearing from you in August!

-MM

carolmcq said...

Thanks MM! I really appreciate the link from your blog to mine :-). Yours was one I read pretty exclusively after my diagnosis, and I found it to be so very helpful. You continue to be an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

So how are you now, a month or so later? I'm due to get right knee lymph nodes removed in a few days and I've just had a cellulitis infection in the leg. Have you got any particular care-and-tending plan for you odema?

Best wishes for a full recovery!

carolmcq said...

Hi Bob, I'll be thinking of you as you prepare for and go through surgery! After the lymph node dissection, the surgeon had my entire leg - from tips of toes to top of thigh - completely wrapped in ace bandages. When I was allowed to take the ace bandages off, I had to wear a closed toe long compression stocking - hardest thing ever to take on and off trying to avoid bumping the surgical site. I was also very conscientious about keeping my leg elevated. I don't know if that's what worked or not, but I haven't had lymphedema problems. I do have slight swelling associated with activity, but that's it. Usually that swelling will go down enough overnight. Sometimes I'll wear the compression stocking overnight in an attempt to be proactive. I hope that information helps!