Thursday, July 3, 2008

3rd Week of Recovery

Well, it wasn't a sinus thing after all which explains why Sudafed didn't clear it up. It turns out that I've been dealing with migraines and didn't even realize it! I never had a migraine till the treatments. The puzzling thing for me is that after each IV was started (the hydration portion was always first) the nurse would inject a syringe of Benadryl into the IV. I could feel it cross over into my bloodstream because it burned. Within minutes, I would feel pressure across the back of my eyes and up into my forehead. I blamed it on the Benadryl. After treatment was over and I discovered the swollen lymph nodes in the back of my head, I figured I was fighting a sinus infection (which, to me, explained the continuing pressure behind my eyes). The pressure would come and go, and I never called it a headache because I had never had a headache behind my eyes. I really never got many headaches (before treatment). So much for self-diagnosis!

Last Friday, the doctor gave me a prescription for Midrin. I took one capsule as soon as I got home and then another one at bedtime. That was all it took! Two pills! This week, the closer I get to the end of the work day, the more the "pressure" starts building behind my eyes. But it never gets as bad as it did before the Midrin. It doesn't last either - a little quiet time at home and it's practically gone. I only took one pill at bedtime this week.

On Saturday afternoon I spent almost 5 hours working in my daughter and son-in-law's flower beds trying to tame them and pull the weeds. To me, that means that I'm back pretty darn close to 100%. Of course, after that and then sitting in the heat at a family reunion on Sunday, and back at work on Monday, my leg decided that enough was enough and swelled up. I've had to wear the compression stocking - not exactly fashionable for summertime (or any time for that matter!). I hadn't worn the stocking at all during the last 2-3 weeks of treatment, but I guess I was horizontal enough of the time that swelling wasn't an issue. Now my foot is down most of the time, and I'm ready to be active again. I really want to lose the stocking but I also want to prevent dealing with lymphedema!

On Monday I begin my 30-day written comprehensive exam for my doctoral work (15 pages for each of 4 questions = 60 pages). I scheduled it after my 1st week of recovery because I felt as though I would be ready for it physically and mentally. I still think it was a good call, but next week will tell how ready I really am. Knowing how I've felt when I've gotten home after work this week, I know that I couldn't work full-time and successfully complete the exam. I'll be taking almost all (maybe all) of my accummulated vacation to get it done. I'll still go into the office at least one full day each week and be available for additional hours if needed. Hopefully my brain is up for the challenge!

3 comments:

Suzanne Shaffer said...

Hey lady!!!
Good luck on those comps - What an incredible accomplishment!!

Maybe next year you can use those vacation days for a much-deserved vacation!!

Take care and know we are rooting for you to get it done with flying colors!!

Anonymous said...

So good to hear you sound quite strong- it' s great to hear you got through the important stage of your journey. Mine is just starting as I support my family member through this process. I know you will continue to succeed.  God bless!

carolmcq said...

It's so very important to have supportive friends and family at a time like this. It was a bit of a switch in roles in my home, but done with genuine love and kindness. I hope this blog is able to help you anticipate some of the possible side effects of the interferon.