Monday, September 1, 2008

Update: CT-Scan News

I am quite thrilled to report that the CT-scan I had this past Tuesday morning had all negative results. It was so nice of my oncologist's office to call and let me know before my next appointment. It's wonderful to be able to share good news!

Just to share my continued learning, and to help me remember before scheduling my next CT-scan: Never schedule your CT-scan for first thing in the morning unless 1) you have a short commute to the testing site, and 2) you plan on staying at home for a few hours after the test. I had my test scheduled for 8:00am. That meant that I had to drink the first half of bottle #1 of the barium sulfate at 6:00am, the second half of bottle #1 at 6:30am, and the first half of bottle #2 at 7:00am, and had to save the second half of bottle #2 for just before the scan. I needed to leave the house by 7:30am to get to the medical campus on time. Well, it was tough to leave the bathroom with confidence to make the trip. As soon as I checked in at the medical campus, I had to make another trip to the bathroom. After the technician inserted the IV, I had to make another trip. As soon as the treatment was over, yes, I had to make another trip. Then I made a bee-line for home and couldn't unlock the house door quickly enough.

So, I learned that on a much emptier stomach beginning at 6:00am, the effects of the barium sulfate are more pronounced than when scheduling an afternoon appointment and not eating four hours prior to the scan. Besides, after an afternoon scan, I could have gone home and stayed home rather than having to return to work. Lesson learned! Now all I need to do is to remember it.

No comments: